“University of Washington’s Very Own Student Transit Expert.”
You heard that right. My name is Bryan Ben Elsea, and I am a College of Arts and Sciences student double-majoring in Anthropology and Sociology. Public transit is my way of learning about the different communities in the Puget Sound, from places like White Center, Issaquah, and Stanwood, to places like Olympia and Bellingham. I operate on major corridors during my free time, such as Sounder Commuter Rail, Link Light Rail, and Seattle’s unique trolleybus system. My major transit accomplishments include riding 185 miles round trip from University of Washington to Western Washington University before beginning my studies at the former.
In my local community, I am a Dream Project college readiness mentor at my old high school, Technology Engineering & Communications (TEC). There, I support students in preparing for their road ahead by helping them discover their own stories and empower them to take ownership of their futures. I was also part of the process that looked at what schools like TEC are doing well and at what students need to thrive academically. At UW, I am deepening understanding of my own stories through my involvement in Polynesian Student Alliance.
Since September 15, 2016. Revises five days after each regional revision period.
The following lists the routes where you will most likely find me. I say ‘likely’ because at some point during the academic year, I am caught up in major projects and papers.
- Within UW: 31, 32, 49, 65, 67, 70,75, 271, 372X
- North Seattle: D-Line, E-Line, 31, 32, 44, 45, 67, 73/373, 75
- West Seattle: C-Line, 60, 120, 125, 128
- South Seattle: 7, 36, 48, 60, 106, 124, LINK
- Central District: Downtown Seattle routes, 8, 9X, 48, 49, 60, LINK
- Trolleybus system: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 36, 43, 44, 47, 49, 70
- North Region: E-Line, 372X, 373X, 512X, SDRX, Community Transit
- Eastside: B-Line, 234, 235, 245, 255, 271, 540X, 541X, 542X, 545X, 550X, 560X, I-90 corridor
- South Region: A-Line, F-Line, 101/102, 106, 120, 121, 122, 123, 128, 131, 132, 150, 166, 180, 560X, 574X, 594X, LINK, SDRX, Pierce Transit
- West Region: 118(X)/119(X), WSF Fauntleroy/Vashon/Southworth, Mukilteo/Clinton, Kitsap Transit, Island Transit
- Outliers: Intercity Transit, Skagit Transit, Whatcom Transit Authority
Species: Half-Azarathian, half Feline
Universe: Ours, DC
Occupations: Student, Transit rider, High school mentor
Abilities/Superpowers: Dark Arts, empathy, geomancy, psychometrics, and really good road navigation. Most of these work only in the DC Universe.
Season: All-season. Consequently, he’ll change gear if trolleys are motorized for the weekend or to adapt to changing weather conditions.